1. Enable IMAP access in Gmail by ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ option in Gmail’s settings
2. Install Alpine
sudo apt-get install alpine
3. Launch alpine by typing "alpine" in the command prompt.
4. Access to its setup option by typing "s" in the main menu.
5. Select the ‘CollectionLists’ option by pressing ‘L’ and add new collection list by selecting ‘Add Cltn’.
6. Give new collection name like "Gmail" and set the server as follows:
7. Exit the collection list setup and save the changes you have made.
8. In order to finish configuring Alpine, return to the main menu, go back into setup options and select ‘Config’ (press ‘C’). Use the following settings (once again, USERNAME@GMAIL.com is your Gmail user name):
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com/novalidate
Inbox Path: imap.gmail.com/novalidate-cert/ssl/user=USERNAME@GMAIL.COM (Note: When prompted for an inbox folder, enter ‘INBOX’ (without the inverted commas))
9. Optional: If you don’t want to enter your password every time you open Alpine, simply create a file called ‘.pine-passfile’ in your home directory:
Launch alpine by entering "alpine" in the terminal and enjoy the perfect mailing system.